You spend your whole life searching for all the things we think we want, And never really knowing what we have

"The Night That the Lights Went Out in NYC" by The Ataris



Ok I should be studying now but I just can't. Something has been distracting me for the past month and even now when my exams are just around the corner(tmr is my first paper), I still cannot fully concentrate on my revision. Sure I have gone through my notes and tutorials but how many percentage of it is staying in my brain?

Usually I would go for a jog to let it all out and hopefully I would be able to focus back but at this time of the night I had to do something else. Thus the video above. Yup its my first video on youtube and was done in under an hour. Not very polish but gets the job down. Always liked the song but never found a music video for it. And with the limited time I allocated myself, choosing a movie that I am familiar with(although I still dunno where my book went to) would do the trick.

As with the song, sometimes we never really realise what we have until its too late. Sometimes its right in front of you and yet you choose to look elsewhere. And in this society now, it is all too true. A person's worth is determined by what the person has archived or the material worth of the person. And his or her character is pushed down the ranks. And by this yardstick, we keep looking and looking. Failing to realise the one who has always been there in front of you until its too late. And by than even by wishing on a falling star would not help you.

Take away everything a person have and the only thing that remains is his or her character and how strong or weak it is. That is only going to keep the person going rather than the money in the bank, the looks and skills possessed or even that flashy new car or condo. Looks and skills will disappear with age, material possession can come and go with the world so volatile but a person's character will see him through.

Something which I still find myself lacking in. Maybe its the rainbow after the rain for me for still being a student with nothing in a environment where everything else matters. I am rather broke again, have no flashy car and have no looks to add. What I can only depend on is my character to see me through until I grad. And I got to make sure that character continues to improve when I enter the working world where materialism rules.

Yet I am thankful that there are people around me who are good examples to follow and of cos there are those that help me remember what a bad example is. Looking back at Saturday evening, it was definitely a lesson to remember. From getting to know someone with a strong will(if you dun call that strong than I think you need help in the brain), working with a goal in mind to even my own parents who could have spent the time alone to enjoy and relax(which no one can argue against for they earned it) but yet still "shared" the fun. If I turn out wrongly next time, I think I only got myself to blame.

Anyway, saturday evening was spent at the hotel InterContinental Singapore. My sister got a complimentary one night stay there from office and passed it to my parents to use(The perks of working in the media I guess). Having been voted 'Singapore's Leading Hotel' at the World Travel Awards 2006, staying at any room would have been an experience but it did not stop there. My parents got to stay at the one of the two Executive Suites.

From the moment you enter the suite, to checking out the bedroom, I was left speechless. "Big" is an understatement and "Comfortable" would be an insult to the place. I think having a BOSE radio in the bedroom says it all(For those who dunno, BOSE is an expensive brand of sound entertainment equipment). And having a dedication over the radio just tops its all(A big thanks to Elliott).


The name on the radio says it all.

My parents could have just relaxed and enjoyed it all but instead the whole family and extended family was invited over to enjoy the place as well. That meant going up and down(You need the access card to get the lift to take you to the 16th level) to fetch everyone. And did I mention the view from the window is breath taking? Yup thats the executive suite for you.


Part of the extended family. Always fun to have around :D


Too bad I dun have a DSLR and wide angle lens to capture the whole national library

Having said all this, its kinda sad to also see people around me treating things that are not important as the real deal. Well its kinda sad and I hope they wake up in time. Learning from other people's mistake is always better learning from your own I always say.

Well hopefully making that video and posting this blog would take my mind back to my paper tomorrow. This feeling of distraction has to come at the worst possible time but I am glad that I stayed home on Friday to try to do some more revision(which alsoe ended up with conquering part of europe). Who knows what would have happened and I know for sure it will not help me with my paper tomorrow.

Hopefully whatever refining my character has gone through would help me move through this "trial" which sooner or later I would have to face. And at the end of it all, I would come out stronger and better. I am never one to like changes to my all so comfortable daily routine of doing things. So maybe this would also help me open up more.

Yup thats about it. Its gonna be a busy week ahead with my first paper on monday and my next and last paper on the 17th which is a maths paper. Which also means staying at home for even more revision since I am never good in maths.

Cheers,
Kenneth :)