The Serentiy, Courage, Wisdom & Strength...

The Serenity Prayer is most probably something you would have seen many many times in bookstores, on posters or even in books.

God, give us grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, courage to change the things that should be changed, and the wisdom to distinguish the one from the other.


This is the original one written by Reinhold Niebuhr in the early 1940s. It was later also used but the United States Armed Forces.

And as I look back at the past events during the week which was an emotional roller coaster ride, I guess this something that I can take heart in.

To have the serenity to accept the way things are and events that will happen or have happened. Something that struck me during Sunday's message from the pulpit was the fact that sometimes at our level, we always wonder why things happen to us at the wrong time at the wrong place. And its usually because we fail to see the bigger picture.

To have the courage to know what needs to be changed in my life. From the way I look at situations, how I treat people to even my priorities in life now as a student and later on as a working adult. Sometimes I can be so unwilling to move from my comfort zone to not realise that its not the best thing to do. And this is where I really need to change.

To have the wisdom to know what to change and what not to. I think this is the most important part as we can end up trying our best for something that will never work out no matter how hard we try when we could have put that energy into something better or we can end up being lazy and just leaving everything to work itself out. I do not think there is a sure way to find out which is which but I know it is a learning process that builds up over time.

And if I might add one more to the Serenity Prayer for myself, that would be the strength to move on. I always find myself having emotional baggages left behind that somethings make things hard to move on. Either a grudge against someone making it hard to work with the person again, or a failed relationship/friendship that makes it hard to want to start new ones.

Well its a start of another new week and it looks like I got some stuff lined up for me. Getting back onto the track for my jogs once my flu clears up, the opening of some asian fusion place, fixing up Daniel's new pc and watching the newcastle match against arsenal and my results coming out.

Hopefully I will remember all that I have gone through in the past week and put them to good use.

Cheers,
Kenneth :D